Friday, January 26, 2007

Hymns and Readings for
the Sunday of
the Pharisee and the Publican

TROPARIA AND KONTAKION
(THEME HYMNS OF THE DAY & CONCLUDING SEASONAL HYMN)

TROPARION OF THE RESURRECTION IN TONE ONE

After the stone was sealed by the Jews, and while the soldiers were watching your spotless Body, You rose, O Savior, on the third day, bestowing life on the world. Therefore, the heavenly powers cried out to You, O Giver of Life: Glory to your Resurrection, O Christ; glory to your Kingdom; glory to your Economy, O You Who alone are the Lover of Mankind.

TROPARION OF OUR LADY IN TONE FOUR

Protected by your coming, O Mother of God, we the faithful solemnly celebrate today; and gazing upon your spotless image, we cry out from the depths of our hearts: “Protect us with your precious veil and deliver us from evil, by asking your Son, Christ our God, to save our souls!”

KONTAKION OF THE PHARISEE AND THE PUBLICAN IN TONE FOUR

Let us shun the proud attitude of the boastful Pharisee and learn humility from the Publican’s sighs; let us cry out to our Savior: Have mercy on us, O you who alone are Merciful!

LITURGY OF THE WORD

PROKIMENON
(RESPONSORY FROM THE PSALTER)

R. Make vows to the Lord your God and fulfill them
let all round about bring gifts to the awesome God.

V. God is renowned in Judah; in Israel, great is his name.

THE READING FROM
THE SECOND EPISTLE OF ST PAUL TO TIMOTHY

MY SON TIMOTHY: You have observed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness, my persecutions, my sufferings, what befell me at Antioch, at Iconium, and at Lystra, what persecutions I endured; yet from them all the Lord rescued me. Indeed all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil men and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceivers and deceived. But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

ALLELUIA

Come let us rejoice in the Lord,
let us sing gladly to God our Savior.

Let us greet his presence with thanksgiving;
let us joyfully sing psalms to Him.

THE READING FROM THE HOLY GOSPEL
ACCORDING TO ST LUKE

THE LORD SPOKE THIS PARABLE: Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, “God, I thank thee that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week, I give tithes of all that I get.” But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, “God, be merciful to me a sinner!” I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for every one who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.

No comments:

 
.......